Hypersensitivity to mold

Do you have a hypersensitivity to mold?

If you have a mold allergy, your immune system overreacts when you breathe in mold spores. A mold allergy can cause coughing, itchy eyes and other symptoms that make you miserable. In some people, a mold allergy is linked to asthma and exposure causes restricted breathing and other airway symptoms. There are a number of well-documented studies from a number of distinguished universities, colleges and hospitals:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mold-allergy/symptoms-causes/syc-20351519#:~:text=If%20you%20have%20a%20mold,breathing%20and%20other%20airway%20symptoms

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15765738/

What is the correct method of mold removal?

We recently were contacted by a family with a young daughter who was diagnosed as having mold in her bloodstream, specifically Aspergillus. The child suffered seizures as well as other significant symptoms that drove the family our of their home and started them researching everything that might play a role in helping their young daughter.

What this family found was that there was not a definitive method of addressing mold in a residential setting. Certain organizations submit that mold should be removed using light cleaning, (WHO), and drying of the substrate while others, (CDC), stated that mold can be removed by using bleach.

The IICRC, (of which our members are certified), indicates in their S520 guidelines, that light detergent and physical removal of mold is the preferred method however does allow for the use of a benign botanical disinfectant application, (Benefect Decon 30), and / or removal through the use of soda / dry ice blasting followed by locking down the area with a product such as Fibrelock 811LE.

https://mapleleafmold.ca/wp-admin/post.php?post=1466&action=edit&classic-editor#:~:text=https%3A//mapleleafmold.ca/is%2Danyone%2Dsurpri%E2%80%A6is%2Dtough%2Dto%2Dkill/

Mold and Allergies

First Steps

If you suspect you have a form of allergic hypersensitivity one of the first things you must do is to remove yourself from the area where the mold spores are being generated. This will help reduce the symptoms and allow for the initial steps needed to remove the mold from your home.

Second is to speak with a medical professional and arrange to have an examination that would identify if you are reacting adversely to mold through a series of tests. The medical professional may place you on medications that reduce the response of your immune system and alleviate the symptoms of the condition. There are over-the-counter and prescription medications which come in the form of nasal sprays, eye drops, liquid or even pills.

Third steps would be to thoroughly examine your home and identify areas of concern and outline proper procedures to address these areas. We can help…we’re experienced and professional, just give us a call.

 

Maple Leaf Mold Inc. is a certified  mold / asbestos removal and biological disinfection / air analysis company located in Toronto that uses certified IICRC technicians for all testing and remediation projects.

We are a professionally licensed firm experienced in testing, verifying  and removing Mold / Asbestos / Lead and other environmental contaminants as well as providing disinfection services to control and kill biological contaminants.

Call 416-254-7256 to talk with us about your issue anytime.

 

               

 

 

Posted in

Leave a Comment





Contact Us Now!

We can inspect your home / business for mold / asbestos in 3 hours or less.