How to beat toxic mold

How to beat toxic mold at home and in your life in ten easy steps

We’ve been documenting, over the last number of months, a number of ways that mold can adversely affect your health. It can affect your physically and neurologically (we have a very good resource that outlines various medical reports and papers that document these impacts).

While the physical impacts of exposure to mold are becoming broadly discussed, neurological changes are really only now being understood. Take a look at this very good resource for issues associated neurologically;

Is it Mental Illness or Mold Toxicity?

As well, exposure to food contaminated with mold is something that the medical field is only now starting to understand. Please read the following link to an excellent resource that talks about mold and food contamination;

When people avoid mold toxins, they perform better. Many of the most toxic mold metabolites cause damage to DNA – there is no “optimal” level of them other than zero, so we work to get the levels down as far as possible. Mold forms in homes, schools, and businesses because we build tightly sealed energy efficient houses out of wood and paper, natural foods for mold and fungus.

Here’s a good article by Martha Stewart in her dealings with mold;

At the same time, we’ve created more aggressive forms of fungi with our agricultural chemicals. The result is that toxic mold makes more people weak, fat, and tired than ever before. It is largely invisible and can have a huge impact on your energy and stress levels, not to mention how long you’ll live.

  1. Avoid Water-Damaged Buildings

Water soaked building materials are the perfect breeding ground for toxic mold. Avoid living, working or attending school in any building that has been damaged by water whether from a flood, broken pipes, condensation, or water leaks of any kind. If we’ve re-mediated the building, it will be safe. If it was fully flooded, it’s really hard to fully restore. Water stains on walls and ceilings, or a funky smell should be enough to tell you not to spend time in a building.

  1. Prevent, Identify & Repair Water Leaks

Keep drains, toilets and pipes in good working order to prevent flooding. Have pipes in your home professionally inspected for leaks – they are often behind walls or cabinets, so you can’t tell by looking. Repair water leaks immediately. Check baseboards, ceilings, and walls in your home, office, and school frequently looking for soft spots, stains, or other signs of water damage. A well-maintained roof not only keeps you dry, it can prevent a very expensive mold remediation.

  1. Consider Safer Building Conditions and Materials

Many homes that have been vacant for a long period contain toxic mold from humid air. Choose a well-maintained home and have it inspected for an intact moisture barrier in the walls. Building materials in construction use since the 1970s are especially susceptible to toxic mold growth.

  1. Ensure You Have Proper Ventilation

Make sure there is good ventilation in your home, office, and school.  Toxic mold grows in moist environments that lack proper airflow, which you would probably call “stuffy.” Poorly installed AC units and HVAC systems in hot humid climates are a definite red flag to check out. Cool AC ducts will cause condensation when they come in contact with moist air, and mold grows on the condensation.

  1. Have your Home Professionally Inspected

If you are about to lease, rent, or buy real estate, we are the mold inspection and testing company you should call. We can perform an ERMI (Environmental Relative Moldiness Index) Air Test. This test has been developed as a tool to evaluate the potential risk of indoor mold growth and associated health effects. We can also perform a complete test of the interior and exterior of your home. If you have unexplained symptoms, you will want to have this type of inspection. .

  1. Avoid Mold 100% Through Removal and Remediation

If testing reveals you have toxic mold in your environment, remove yourself from the environment & work with a remediation specialist to develop a cleanup plan. Improperly removing toxic mold can be even more dangerous to your health than asbestos or lead paint. There is no better remedy than mold avoidance!

If you are experiencing the symptoms of mold illness, contact a healthcare practitioner who is trained treating mold illness. Mold causes damage to everyone – it is just that some of us feel it sooner than others.

  1. Identify Symptoms & Seek Professional Treatment

Exposure to toxic mold can trigger that you may not at first realize all relate to each other. The symptoms are different for different people.

The toxins from these molds cause cumulative damage and research links them to cancer and other degenerative diseases, especially autoimmune conditions. If you think toxic mold exposure is causing your symptoms, find a doctor who specializes in the treatment of mold illness and get tested.

  1. Avoid High Mold Toxin (Mycotoxin) Foods and Beverages

Foods that contain gluten, yeast, wheat, corn, grain other than white rice, barley, peanuts, cottonseed, grain-fed meat and dairy, mushrooms and commonly available chocolate can contain high mold mycotoxin levels.

Likewise, unfiltered tap water, unfiltered alcoholic beverages, (particularly beer and wine), and commonly available coffee can contain high mold mycotoxin levels.

  1. Take High Quality Supplements

Take high quality, bioavailable supplements that promote detoxification in your body. The top choices are Glutathione Force, Upgraded Coconut Charcoal, and antioxidants like Selenium and Vitamin C. Your goal is to get the toxins out of your system as quickly as possible.  You must avoid reentering a mold-infested space for as long as possible – hopefully forever.

  1. Get Rid Of Any Candida In Your Body

Mold makes a kind of yeast called candida grow in your body. Antifungal medications and herbs can do wonders as you detox. Talk with your doctor about nystatin and fluconazole, and consider grape seed extract, berberine, and regular use of C8 MCT. A good probiotic will help too.

Maple Leaf Mold Inc. is a certified  mold / asbestos removal and biological disinfection / air analysis company located in Toronto that uses certified IICRC technicians for all testing and remediation projects.

We are a professionally licensed firm experienced in testing, verifying  and removing Mold / Asbestos / Lead and other environmental contaminants as well as providing disinfection services to control and kill biological contaminants.

Call 416-254-7256 to talk with us about your issue anytime.


Posted in

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Contact Us Now!

We can inspect your home / business for mold / asbestos usually within 3 hours or less.