Accidental poisoning can occur when using common household cleaners

Disinfection – accidental poisoning can occur when using common household cleaners

It is important that you are aware that accidental poisoning can occur when using common household cleaners that contain chlorine.

Recently, as Canadians continue to hunker down, practice social distancing and disinfect their homes regularly against the Covid-19, many have been following Health Canada instructions to use common disinfection products that knowingly / unknowingly contain chlorine.

The CBC recently had two interesting articles about this possibility;

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-19-accidental-poisoning-cleaning-products-1.5552779

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bccdc-warns-spike-in-calls-poison-centre-1.5550833

 

Bleaches

Many of the disinfectants being sold and used as disinfecting agents to prevent the spread of Covid-19 contain bleach. As a disinfectant, these products must kill 99.9% of viruses and bacteria within a 5 to 10 minutes window. If it doesn’t it cannot be be sold as a disinfectant.

The use of bleach as a disinfectant

Some bleaching products might not list the word “bleach” on the label, so it’s important to recognize other names for chemical bleaching agents. These include sodium hypochlorite, calcium hypochlorite, hydrogen peroxide, and sodium carbonate peroxide.

Chlorine (as hypochlorite) bleach is a widely available, affordable, and effective disinfectant agent. Chlorine bleach can be irritating to the skin and eyes. The fumes are also irritating to the lungs if inhaled. Plain sodium hypochlorite household bleach is likely to cause limited vomiting if unintentionally swallowed in small amounts. However, some sodium hypochlorite bleach products now have added sodium hydroxide that can make swallowing, skin, or eye exposure more dangerous by causing chemical burns. Bleaches with sodium hydroxide often have the word “ultra” on the product label.

Misguided advice

Some have even followed the guidance of those who suggest ingesting bleach or disinfectants. We strongly advise against this, ( https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-new-yorkers-household-cleaners-trump-20200425-rnaqio5dyfeaxmthxx2vktqa5m-story.html ), as personal injury will be caused as a result.

Should you have questions about a potential poisoning please contact Telehealth, If you suspect poisoning call

http://www.ontariopoisoncentre.ca/about-us/contact-us/contact-us.aspx

Let experienced professionals disinfect your home

We offer safe, botanical disinfection services to homeowners and businesses across Southern Ontario

Coronavirus disinfection programs

And remember that there’s a connection between mold and the Covid-19 virus;

https://mapleleafmold.ca/coronavirus-mold…vid-19-infection/

 

Let us disinfect your home and / or business to give you that piece of mind.

 

Maple Leaf Mold Inc. is a IICRC certified Covid-19 disinfection, mold / asbestos removal and biological disinfection / analysis company located in Toronto. We are a professionally licensed firm experienced in testing, verifying  and removing mold / asbestos  as well as providing disinfection services to control and kill biological contaminants.

Call 416-254-7256 to talk with us about your issue anytime.

IIICRC certified firm   

 

Posted in

Leave a Comment





Contact Us Now!

We can inspect your home / business for mold / asbestos in 3 hours or less.